Monday, September 04, 2006

Sideways (2004)

These day, Sideways is a film you hear about before you see it. It is so raved about by critics and fans.

And for good reason. Great story, great actors, great scenery. And you can almost taste the wine that is being sniffed, swilled, swallowed and uncorked throughout this story.


Interestingly, it was one Marie didn't like, because she doesn't watch movies to see people like us; she wants to see people who we can aspire to.

I, on the other hand, liked it for the exact reason my wife didn't: these are warm, human, intensely believable characters.

The only bummer (pardon the pun; you'll see what I mean) was the two rather explicit sex scenes. They were funny - as they were intended to be - but I'd rather not see other people having sex. I think a lot of other moviegoers would agree with me.

But the movie also has the best bedroom scene I've ever seen: Miles (Paul Giamatti) kisses Maya (Virginia Madsen) and they disappear inside the door. The camera modestly looks away at the neighbouring houses, and night becomes day - then the camera pans back to the door. Beautifully done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home