Monday, June 05, 2006

Finis

I'm done on the second draft of my screenplay!

Strangely, I don't feel euphoric ... I don't feel anything much for that matter.

Weird. However I am glad to have reached this milestone. Next steps...
  • Print the sucker out - 95 pages. I just can't stretch it any further, not without some really good reason.
  • Have a read-through with my wife
  • Correct any glaring errors
  • Register it with the WGA
  • Get feedback from the host of people who I'll get to read it
  • Have a read-through with some actors
  • Make any good changes that come out of workshopping and feedback and reading
  • Phone up film production companies thousands of miles away and pitch my precious script
  • Be turned down a few times
  • Find the perfect fit, and either sell this screenplay and make a mint, or get an assignment on the strength of my writing.
See? I'm an optimist. You've got to be.

---
Congratulations also to Joan from Houston, who emailed me for some local advice on NZ, before finishing her screenplay and submitting it to some competitions. All the best for those, Joan!

---

Of note:
  • The Break-Up opened well, but I haven't yet read a good review of it. Billy Mernit sums up the reason why: what sensible couple would go to this movie on a date?
  • Perhaps the reason for Break-Up's success is not so much the story, but a combination of the star appeal and the fact that, according to the BoxOfficeMojo article I linked to above, "The industry frequently is surprised by the success of romantic comedies yet doesn't churn them out at the same rate as other genres, like horror or action. That leaves the field wide open for the few high profile romantic comedies, like this year's The Break-Up and Failure to Launch, to clean up."

2 Comments:

At June 06, 2006 12:25 pm, Blogger Joan said...

Ha! I didn't feel euphoric when I finished either, just relieved and very VERY tired!

Congrats on finishing! Definitely stay optimistic. :-)

 
At June 10, 2006 8:42 am, Blogger Sandra Vahtel said...

Glad you're done, Sy. Very cool.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home