Sione's WeddingThe Writing Effort
I'm late but great - had intended to write before going out tonight, but hey, I seem to get better as the night gets on.
That's another piece of advice I'm still 'working on' - writing every day, at the same time each day. Well, at least I'm writing in the same place. Helps that I don't have a laptop I guess.
It's our 8th wedding anniversary today, and to celebrate we went to see Sione's Wedding (and it was cheap 'cos it's Tuesday - that's why there were a lot of other Samoans in the audience I bet! :)
Brilliant! At last a movie that is authentically kiwi, uniquely Pacific and thoroughly commercial. Yes folks this is a movie, not a film. I'd love to know if it's being released overseas (apart from Samoa, where it has done really well apparently) because some of the humour might not translate.
It was great seeing this one with an audience. Laugh-out-loud jokes just got funnier because of the way some people cracked up at them. That's what I like about the Pacific Island culture - there's a willingness to laugh at life, and that laughter is contagious.
Skimming The Trades
(or my version of the trades - what I can get for free on an RSS feed, which is pretty good!)
- From the "how movies might get made" department, a 5-minute trailer of a superhero film that someone would like some funding for, one day. Interesting idea!
- Fred Claus is no longer Fred Claus, but the project is still go, and Paul Giamatti will play Santa. He was fantastic in Cinderella Man - what chemistry between him and Crowe, what humour, he's great!
- Everyone's talking about The Simpsons movie. The Movie blog's talking. Yahoo Movies is talking. Rotten Tomatoes is talking. Film Ick is talking.
- Romantic Comedy news: Save the Date, a spec script from a TV writer, is snapped up by Benderspink, a production company that actually welcomes script submissions via email. That is incredible!
- Too obvious to mention department: Ice Age 2 blah blah blah.
- Oh look, we're famous department: Russell Crowe causes NZ nightclub to be fined because he smoked. Oops. I still like Russell, even though many don't. Russ, if you're reading this, I'd still make a film with you, buddy.
- That's kind of smart department: Star Trek are doing boxed sets by theme, which I thought of as well. I should be a producer :)
- The aren't we clever department: King Kong breaks records on DVD. Go kiwi! Plus of course the talented Australians, Brits and Americans involved. Oh, hell and anyone else I've forgotten.