Monday, October 03, 2005

Excerpt from my film

CROMBIE:
My job is to ensure the security of this country. If I do my job well, nobody knows. Life goes on as normal. That is my job: making life go on as normal.

I have no family, no past, and, really, no present to speak of. At least that's what you'll find if you try to discover anything about me.

I've placed dozens of people like John into protection, giving them new identities, new lives. But with John, there's this tiny problem. He wants to keep his name - the idiot wants to bring his name with him into a new life. You can't do that! You may as well have a big bulls-eye painted on you.

John's determination about his identity troubles me. It makes me question why I do what I do. I know, that's dangerous. Because if I don't do my job, life doesn't go on as normal.

Why does he make me question what I do? Because I've never come across someone so stubborn about something so practically meaningless as a name. What use is a name when you have a price on your head?

I know part of my job is psychological, but sometimes I fear the person on the other side of the table knows more about what's going on than I do. In any other job, that's okay. In mine, that's a danger.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home